Hon. Thomas Leftwich Clinkscales, well known at Columbia as the progressive representative from Anderson County, has been a prominent farmer, land owner and citizen of that county for many years. He was born in Martin Township of Anderson County May 3, 1855, son of Levi Newton and Elizabeth (Robinson) Clinkscales. His father was born in Martin Township January 7, 1831, and is still living at the advanced age of eighty-eight. The grandparents were Levi and Polly (Rice) Clinkscales. the former a native of Abbeville County, where his father was a pioneer. Elizabeth Robinson, mother of Hon. Thomas L. Clinkscales. was born in Martin Township January 14, 1836, daughter of John Jasper and Assenetta (Grubbs) Robinson. She died more than thirty years ago. Thomas L Clinkscales was one of a family of six sons and six daughters that reached mature years. Their father served during the war between the states as a member of Orr’s Rifles, and was in the army from 1862 until the close of hostilities.
Thomas L. Clinkscales grew up on his father’s farm and acquired a high school education in the Ebenezer School under Prof. C. C. Reed. In 1878 he married Emma Florence Harris, a daughter of Ezekiel Harris. Mrs. Clinkscales died in 1895, the mother of seven children, named Harris Eugene, Julian Edgar, Walter Calhoun, Addie Belle, Emma Elizabeth, Margaret Jane and Elmer Ernest. In 1896 Mr. Clinkscales married Lillian Selma Wright, daughter of Hon. W. P. Wright of Anderson County, long a prominent farmer and former member of the Legislature. Mr. and Mrs. Clinkscales have three children: Tommie Wright, a daughter, Mayme Lucile. and William Newton. A son by his first wife, Elmer Ernest, was in the army on some of the battle fronts in France and later with the Army of Occupation in Germany.
For thirty years Mr. Clinkscales had his farm and business activities in Martin Township. He then moved to his present place in Honea Path Township, where in 1912 he built a modern and beautiful country home, one that would be envied by many prosperous city dwellers. The house has a complete equipment of acetylene light, water system and all other comforts and conveniences. His present farm is known as the Harris farm. Mr. and Mrs. Clinkscales are members of the Baptist Church.
He was elected from Anderson County to the State Legislature in 1916, and re-elected in 1918. He served as chairman of the committee on agriculture, on local legislation and on claims. He proved a stanch friend to the good roads movement and supported the bill by means of which Anderson County was enabled to issue bonds for building good roads.[source: “History of South Carolina” – By Yates Snowden, Harry Gardner Cutler; via — Books.Google.com]